Get the latest from Women's Hockey Life straight to your inbox

Sacred Heart Places Third in ECAC Open Tournament

It’s been a while since my last entry so I’ll try to catch you up on everything that has been going on here at SHU…

Just like most other college hockey teams, we had to come back early from winter break to get ready for our games the first week of January. I had a great time at home with my family for Christmas, but it’s always nice hanging out with my teammates and getting back on the ice. However, on the third day of practice, I got a slap shot to the side of my head and was out with a concussion for almost two weeks. We were on the road pretty much the whole time so I had to rest up in hotels and on the bus, and I missed six games. It was frustrating to say the least, but after countless arguments with our athletic trainer, I finally realized that it was more important not to rush my return and to ensure that I would be ready to play for the rest of the season.

Once I was cleared to play, I got into the lineup right away in two games at RIT, relieving one game and starting another. The second game will always stand out for me because it was televised on a local station. There were cameras everywhere and we even got media timeouts every few whistles. RIT’s pep band was there too, chirping at me and blaring music throughout the entire game.  I know this is probably normal for a lot of the bigger D1 programs, but that was my first time playing in such a big time atmosphere. Even though we lost both games, I faced over 100 shots that weekend and the whole experience was a lot of fun. 

A few weeks ago we had senior night at our last home game. It was also my first experience with senior night because at St. Norbert we all started the program as freshmen so they won’t even have any seniors until next year. We decorated the rink and the locker room and made goodie bags and posters for our three seniors. Shout out to Jen, Maura, and Sarah for leading the team this year and I wish them the best of luck with everything in the future! After the game, we had a potluck lunch and hosted a “Skate with the Pioneers” event so friends and family could come skate with us and take pictures.

The following week we got hit by the winter storm Nemo, producing huge winds and dumping over two feet of snow practically over night. The plows struggled to maintain the roads so we were trapped on campus for a few days. The entire school really came together during this time because most of the employees couldn’t make it to campus, so students and even the president of the university were working to serve meals at the cafeteria and help each other shovel out cars. Fortunately there is a gym in my dorm so I could still get a couple workouts in, and we also had a bye weekend so we didn’t have to postpone any games. 

We just played in the ECAC Open tournament this past weekend, losing to Holy Cross the first game and beating St. Mike’s in the second game, coming in third place overall. It was a little disappointing because I know we could have done better, but the season as a whole was quite successful. We finished 18-13-2, which is the best record in program history, so it’s important to focus on how much we did accomplish. Personally, I had a great time this year. Hockey was a lot of fun and I’m very satisfied with my decision to transfer here. 

Now I have to finish some papers and study for midterms before I get to fly home on Thursday for spring break. I don’t have any big plans, mostly just hanging out with my family and catching up on some serious sleep before coming back to post season workouts in March. 

Good luck to everyone in playoffs right now and have fun on spring break! 


More about Jaclyn Hawkins